The COVID-19 is not a just a momentary STORM or a passing SEASON but more like a SPAN which is a new era. To prepare for such uncertain times. A Kingdom Leader should pray for the best, but prepare for the worst. Prov.21:31, ‘The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.’ Even though victory rests with the Lord, your horse/business must be ready!
How do you lead in uncertain times? There are THREE STAGES OF PREPARATION relevant for various spheres that can be used in business at home and ministry. You can’t carry on with business as usually.
STAGE ONE: SURVIVAL
Prov.27:3 ‘The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.’ 3 Cs for Survival measures for this season.
- CREATE A WAR COUNCIL for brainstorming possibilities and challenges and solutions and increase communication to solve problems faster because its not business as usual.
- CUT COSTS Slush all your non-essential expenses to preserve the resources for as long as possible. Ask for rent holidays.
- CARE FOR YOUR STAKEHOLDERS (employees & customers) – I want you to succeed in this season. Be flexible. Show care and compassion even if you have to reduce credibility loss is immense. Look after your employees and customers. Empathy and Hope.
STAGE TWO: RECOVERY
Isaiah 43:18-19 ‘Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.’ Recovery is when we face reality, stop clinging on to the past and press on into a new future…we are entering a new normal. We recover using:
- RESEARCH What is happening to your industry – is your vision still relevant. BUSINESS should solve a problem. Read widely.
- REINVENT your product or your pricing model. Align your organisation.
- RESTRUCTURE Do not fire staff unnecessarily. As you recover, audit the roles and responsibilities of your staff and see which services can be outsourced. Encourage staff to re-tool and re-skill.
STAGE THREE: OPPORTUNITY
Romans 8:28 ‘And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose’.
In every crisis there is opportunity! The Chinese word for “crisis” is composed of two characters – One represents danger, and the other represents opportunity.’ A Kingdom entrepreneur should ask themselves the following questions;
- What opportunities does this crisis bring to my business?
- What needs are you seeing with your target population that you can solve?
- What channels are you discovering that will help you deliver your solutions better than before?
- What are some skills you are learning now that are going to be crucial going forward?
- What are areas you’re going to take advantage of to get to where you were going even faster?
- What systems are you going to put in place so you can take advantage of this new digital era?
You need to be able stay maintain your vision and mission but be willing to experiment with everything else.
Lastly, prioritise time with God. This is the time to stay connected to your senior partner! He will give you wisdom, courage and divine ideas to do the things you must.
Muriithi Wanjau is the Senior Pastor at Mavuno Church, a movement of churches based in Nairobi with a presence in 10 nations. He is passionate about leadership development and societal transformation. He is the author of several books including the discipleship manual Mizizi, Seasons of a Leaders Life and Fearless! The Mavuno Story.
For full version of the sermon above, please log onto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Mk3F8pYOU&t=1008s