How do we dig out of the hole, if we find ourselves owing huge sums of money in this season? As a kingdom businessman, I strongly believe that too many of us have bought into the world’s teachings when it comes to debt. We are told that ‘debt is an instrument’ and that it’s necessary to use as leverage to grow your business, to hire new employees, and to accelerate our momentum. But we have to be careful – knowledge is good, but wisdom comes when we interpret that knowledge in the light of God’s word. Romans 12:1 says, ‘be transformed by the renewing of your mind’. Don’t let the world determine how you think! As a kingdom businessman, God’s word has to have the final word!
Over the years I have taught on how debt destroys destiny as follows;
- Debt is presumptuous – Prov.27:1 warns us – ‘Do not boast about tomorrow for you do not know what a day may bring forth’.. But my goodness, how many people right now are realizing that we are not in control!
- Debt steals freedom – Prov.22:7 say’s ‘The rich rule over the poor and the borrower is a servant to the lender’. Lois described it well! The anxiety, the pressure, the stress when I keep getting those threatening calls! IFC MAN… And it changes your relationship… you’re no longer equals.
- Debt is expensive – Prov.22:26-27 ‘Do not be a man who strikes hands in pledge or puts up security for debts; if you lack the means to pay, your very bed will be snatched from under you’. The person lending you money is not an NGO! They are profiting from your impatience. The principle of compound interest works against you and you often end up paying far more than the opportunity was worth.
- Debt is opportunity destroying – Prov.17:18 ‘A man lacking in judgment strikes hands in pledges and puts up security for his neighbor’. When investment opportunities knock, we’re too tied down to answer the door! Or sometimes God opens an opportunity for us to invest in His kingdom and we find we’ve tied up all His resources; we can’t respond!
- Debt is self-centered – it focuses on me rather than on God – two problems here: it deprives God of the chance to say no. When things blow up and we cry to God… ‘Lord, why did you let my business fail!’ & I suspect sometimes God says, ‘I tried to say no but you went ahead and did it anyway; so why is it now my fault?’ OR sometimes God wants to provide for us miraculously but we’re too busy doing it our own way! And He says ‘oh you want to work hard? Go for it!’ James 4:2 says ‘you do not have because you do not ask’
My prayer for you is that God may give you divine ideas, divine helpers and divine acceleration to build wealth without debt.